Aftermath of Fire at Hawks/Cone Building Site

Fires have caused more changes in downtown Bennington than any other factor. This photo depicts the aftermath of an inferno that destroyed two timber-framed commercial buildings and heavily damaged two others on the south side of east Main Street in 1898. The three-story Hawks Building, built of more fire resistant masonry and stone, was constructed in their place in 1899. The Hawks Building was also gutted by fire in 1924 and replaced by the current Art Deco style Cone Building, with its sleek modern lines, also of fire-resistant masonry construction.

Aftermath of Fire on Main Street, 1898

Glass plate negative, Madison E. Watson (1863-1949)

Bennington Museum Collection, Weichert-Isselhardt Collection, Gift of Tordis llg Isselhardt and Museum Purchase