The Mission of Bennington Museum
Bennington Museum engages and transforms our visitors and our community by connecting them to our region’s diverse arts, rich history, and culture of innovation.
The Vision of Bennington Museum
Bennington Museum is a museum of art, history, and innovation. The museum collects, interprets, and celebrates the creativity of our region and of Vermont across time. We believe that by connecting people with real objects of art and history, and challenging them with complex ideas, we will excite the imagination, inspire innovation, and bring delight.
Our purpose is to create effective connections and community through art, history, and nature. To do this we tell and exchange stories focused on our collections and the culture of our region.
Our aspiration is that, through our collections and programs, people everywhere will come to value the stories of Vermont, the Bennington region, and the achievements of those who have lived here.
Bennington Museum’s new direction
Provides complex, meaningful experiences that transform the lives of visitors through exposure to the ideas, events, and things that have roots in Bennington and this region
- Leverages the power of museums to bring people face-to-face with real objects
- Is a participatory museum, encouraging dialogue among visitors, staff, and community
Presents the world’s best gathering of art and historical materials with roots in Bennington, Vermont’s oldest town, and its region
- Presents the best achievements of this region—past and present—to all
- Develops its physical site and viewshed to integrate them more effectively with our neighborhood in Old Bennington and the town of Bennington
- Presents the creations of our region within the context of Vermont and Northern New England
Embraces innovation as a defining feature of our brand, our mission, and our programs
- Emphasizes innovation in our permanent galleries, temporary exhibitions, programs, and interpretation, e.g., Vermont political activism, Bennington potteries, Grandma Moses, Bennington Modernism
- Inspires and fuels innovation in the arts and industry of the region by connecting the past to the present and future—creative collisions
- Is a strong advocate for innovation in the Bennington region
Is the heart of our community, linking businesses and schools, artists and entrepreneurs, visitors and residents, creating a deeper sense of place, and providing a venue where people learn and exchange ideas
- Is for all the community, overcoming the barriers (social, economic, and cultural) that prevent people from visiting the museum
- Is a core educational resource to all—children, youth, and adults
- Partners with other area organizations to foster a healthy and wholesome community
- Serves as a connector, bringing people together with people in order to create a deeper sense of engagement, build networks, and nurture innovation
Practices the highest standards in all our endeavors
- Adheres to the best museum standards, practices, and ethics
- Commits to good governance, professional development, and fiscal responsibility
- Makes the building and operations more ecologically sustainable