Join Our Team
Are you are energetic and forward thinking? A team player with a love of art and history?
Bennington Museum is a dynamic museum of Art, History and Innovation. We collect, interpret, and celebrate the creativity of our region and of Vermont across time, and produce award-winning exhibitions and exciting events. While our staff is small, we are energetic, progressive, and spontaneous. Some of our best ideas for exhibitions and events come from hallway conversations and meetings at the coffee machine.
Whether you are interested in a professional or support position, seasonal or year-round opportunity, being with us part-time or full-time, coming on board as a salaried employee or as a volunteer, or for an academic internship, we would be happy to speak with you.
Job Title: Office Assistant
Reports to: Deputy Director
Compensation: Appropriate to experience
Bennington Museum in Bennington, Vermont is southern Vermont’s oldest and largest collecting institution and strives to showcase and model the creativity of Vermont in all its forms. We are seeking a well-organized self-starter to serve as an Office Assistant. The ideal candidate will have a natural penchant for organization and the ability to keep the office running smoothly for the benefit of all staff.
Job Summary: Maintain an efficiently running office environment.
Application Instructions: Email cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com.
Schedule: The Office Manager is a part-time position of 18-22 hours per week over 4-5 days per week. The schedule is flexible, but the majority of hours should align with the open hours of the museum.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Enter daily income and invoices into the accounting system, assisting the PT Bookkeeper
• Process incoming and outgoing mail, including bulk mailings
• Make daily bank deposits
• Data entry on a variety of platforms
• Order, maintain, and organize supplies
• Keep office equipment in working order, working with service providers as necessary to arrange repairs
• Coordinate contract and price negotiations with vendors and service providers
• Answer telephone and respond to general information inquiries
• Keep regularly used forms up to date and in supply
• Maintain files
• Proactively work to improve the overall functioning of the office
• Other duties as assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
• Interact in a courteous and professional manner with all visitors, co-workers, volunteers and vendors
• Maintain appropriate records and complete administrative tasks in a timely manner
• Uphold the mission, goals, ethics, and standard procedures of the Bennington Museum
• Welcome feedback and strive constantly to improve performance
High school degree and related office experience required; Associates degree preferred
• Proven experience as a successful Administrative Assistant
• Proficiency in MS Office
• Strong organizational skills
• Hands-on experience with common office equipment (printers, postage meters, etc.)
• Excellent time-management skills and ability to prioritize and muti-task
• Attention to detail and proactive problem-solving skills
• Non-profit experience is preferred but not required
Training and Professional Development:
• Attend periodic gallery talks led by the curator and other staff in order to learn about the collection and changing and permanent exhibitions
• Work with Bookkeeper and other staff to learn programs such as the accounting system and donor database
This position requires excellent verbal communication skills
We are an equal opportunity employer. Positions are posted on this page as they become available.