Pre-Program Info for Teachers & Chaperones
Please help us provide the best possible experience for every member of your group. Refer to the following guidelines as you prepare for your visit and share it with any adults who will be attending the program at the museum or will be present in the classroom during an Outreach Program.
- Our Museum Educators will review rules and behavior expectations with the group upon its arrival, however, we encourage you to discuss appropriate museum behavior with your group prior to arrival. It is especially important to remind students not to touch items in the museum, unless they are given specific permission to do so. See more of our Museum Rules.
- For most programs, we have a maximum group size of 25 students. Large groups may be asked to break up into two sections. If you have been asked to divide your group, please do so before arriving at the museum.
- We truly appreciate being able to call on your students by name. Please provide name tags for them.
- Our Museum Store has many low-priced items that may be of interest to your students. We suggest deciding prior to your visit whether or not your group will use the gift shop, and we ask that you prepare your chaperones to provide supervision while students are in the Store.
- Your program will begin and end as close as possible to the times listed on your confirmation. If your students will need to use the restrooms or wish to visit the Museum Store, please allow additional time for these activities.
- Programs do not include a tour of the entire museum. If you wish for your group to visit parts of the museum not included in the program(s) you have selected, you must allow additional time and provide adequate supervision.
- Inappropriate of disruptive behavior must be dealt with by the classroom teacher and chaperones. Very rarely would a Museum Educator ask that a student be removed from the program, but we appreciate your cooperation, should that need arise.
- Each class is required to bring 1 adult for every 8 students. We recommend 1 adult for every 5 students. We will admit 1 adult for every 5 children, free of charge. Additional adults will be charged $6.50 each.
- Advise your chaperones prior to the visit that they are responsible for helping move students through the museum, enforcing rules, accompanying students to the restrooms, and supervising them in the Museum Store.
- We welcome adult involvement. We ask that chaperones model the behavior we wish to see in the students. Please stay with the group and refrain from conversation during the program.
Please help us provide the best possible experience for every member of your group. Refer to the following guidelines as you prepare for our visit.
- Make this information available to all appropriate teachers and staff.
- To ensure that each student has the opportunity to participate fully, outreach programs have a maximum group size of 25 students. Larger groups must be divided into separate presentation.
- Outreach fees are on a per presentation basis. Schools outside the Southwestern Vermont Supervisory Union are required to pay a mileage fee based on the federal rate. See more about program fees here.