Directions and Bus Parking Instructions
Bus Drivers: Enter the parking lot via the upper, western-most, entrance and park in front of the museum entrance to allow your passengers to disembark. Then move your bus to the dirt section of the lot, closest to the woods, or park in the next parking lot on the right as you head down the hill from the museum.
From the North
From Western Vermont and Northeastern New York
- Follow US Route 7, which runs from the Canadian border to Massachusetts, South to
- Bennington. DO NOT TAKE ANY EXITS. Follow Route 7 to the intersection of Routes 7 and 9. Turn right onto VT Route 9 West. The Museum is about 1/2 mile from there.
- Travelers from the Lake George/Glens Falls area of New York, take US Route 22 South to
- Hoosick Falls, New York. Turn left onto NY Route 7 East. Follow Route 7 as it turns sharply to the right, then turns into VT Route 9. (Do not follow VT 279.)
- The Museum is about 3.5 miles from the state border on the right.
From the South
Southern New England (MA, CT, RI)
- US Route 7, accessible from I-90 (the Mass Pike) in Lee, Massachusetts, continues north into Vermont and into the center of Bennington.
- Take a Left on VT Route 9 West and go ½ mile. The Museum is on the left.
From the East
Eastern Vermont and Northern New England (ME, NH)
- VT Route 9, the major East/West route of Southern Vermont, intersects I-91 in
- Brattleboro, VT at Exit 2. Considered by many to be a beautiful scenic route in 4 seasons,
- Route 9 climbs and travels through the lower portion of the Green Mountains. Follow
- Rt-9 into Downtown Bennington. The Museum in on the left about ½ mile from the downtown.
Large trucks, tractor trailers, buses and campers should perform a thorough inspection of their vehicle’s braking system and the security of all loads before traveling this route. Many steep grades and winding roads can make this route hazardous to unfamiliar drivers.
From the West
Remainder of the United States
- Bennington is approximately 50 minutes east of Albany, New York (the intersection of I- 87 and I-90).
- From I-87 North (New York State Thruway – from NYC), take the exit for I-787 North and exit I-787 at NY Route 7 (Troy/Bennington).
- From I-90 East (New York State Thruway – from Buffalo), take exit for I-87 North and exit
- I-87 at NY Route 7 East.
- From I-87 South (The “Northway” from Saratoga, Glens Falls, Lake Placid, Plattsburg) – take exit for I-87 north and exit I-87 at NY Route 7 East.
- Route 7 East turns sharply to the right and then becomes VT Route 9 at the New
- York/Vermont (Bennington) border. The Museum is about 3.5 miles from the border on the right.